Let me walk you through several Internet tools to use to your advantage.
Major job boards – These are websites that post job openings across many industries and locations. Here is a list of the 15 most popular job boards of this kind.
Niche job boards – Then there are websites that specialize in posting openings for specific industries, geographic areas or demographic groups. Here are some examples:
- By industry: LPJobs (loss prevention), Quirks (marketing research), SIOP (industrial/organizational psychology) and CFA Jobs (global investment)
- By market area: newspaper websites, Craigslist, Jobing.com
- By demographics: DiversityInc (minorities), AfterCollege (for graduates)
Social Media – You can find jobs on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Publix uses all three to post openings and offer career advice.
Search Engines – Many employers are using strategies that allow you to find their job postings by using keywords on a search engine. For example, if you typed “Industrial Maintenance Jobs in Tampa” into Google, you would see our openings on the second page. You may not have even thought about Publix being a company that needs a lot of people in that field.
Career advice – There is a wide variety of career advice on the web, helping you with resume preparation, interview tips, and salary negotiation. This is one of the best sites to visit, but there are many others.
Company Research – Last but not least, the web is a great place to look for companies that might be a good fit for your career.
- Every year, FORTUNE magazine lists the 100 Best Places to Work. Here is this year’s list.
- This site provides all kinds of information about employers
- Use LinkedIn to see if you have any connections at the company you are researching. Your connections may provide valuable behind-the-scenes information.
Twenty-five years ago, job seekers didn’t have all of this information at their fingertips. Don’t make a decision as important as where you spend hours of your life (at work) without doing your homework on the web.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.