Whether the economy is booming or busting, Publix is fortunate to continually have thousands of people interested in working for us. Unfortunately, that means we disappoint a lot of people each year when they aren’t hired for positions they wanted. I hate that!
So I thought I’d share some tips on improving your chances of being hired at Publix. This blog will address opportunities in our stores, where more than where more than
130,000 168,000 associates work. (Updated 7/23/14: That’s right, we’ve grown by 38,000 in the span of two years!) . This blog addresses opportunities in our support facilities – our corporate offices, distribution centers and manufacturing plants.
The first step
The most important questions to ask yourself – and answer – before applying at a Publix store are these:
- How will you respond when you keep being interrupted by customers? Will you welcome the interruptions as an opportunity to help people or will the interruptions test your last nerve?
- When you go home after a day of working with customers whose needs and personalities vary widely, how satisfied will you feel?
We can teach you a wide array of skills to be successful at Publix. We can’t, however, give you a passion for serving others. You either have that or you don’t. If you have that, you not only are a perfect fit for Publix, you will find great enjoyment working in our stores. If you don’t have that passion, you likely won’t be happy and you likely won’t provide the premier customer service we demand of our associates.
The next step
If customer service is the right place for you, the next step is to familiarize yourself with our stores. If you are already a customer, you will have an advantage in this area. If you aren’t a customer, become one for awhile to learn how we do business.
When you’re ready to apply
We have a great deal of information on our website about the duties of the hourly positions, the age restrictions for teens, the benefits we offer and career paths that are available. We also have instructions on how to use our Job Application Center, an automated kiosk, to apply. So I won’t repeat any of that here.
These are my tips:
- You can apply for numerous positions at a store. Study the duties of each one before you go to the store, so you will choose the ones that most interest you. Also, fill out the JAC Time Saver so you have all the information you need at your fingertips.
- Just because you can apply for any position doesn’t mean there will be openings in that position at the store where you want to work. So when you arrive at the store to apply, go to the Customer Service desk and ask for a manager so you can find out what openings currently exist at that store. That may help you decide which positions to apply for.
- Your availability for work is key to being hired. If you can’t work weekends, you will have less of a chance of being hired. Saturdays and Sundays are our busiest days. We also need people who can work evenings.
- If you haven’t heard anything in two weeks after applying, go back to the store and ask for the manager you spoke with originally. Seek advice on what you can do to improve your chance of being hired.
- You have to update your application every 30 days to continue to be considered. The update process is very simple and very quick.
If you’ve applied, check in and let us know how it went!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.