Last week on our Facebook page, we asked our fans for their favorite motivational quotes. All the quotes submitted were wonderful and we decided to share them with you. We researched and gave attribution to those we were able to find. Naturally, “Mr. Georgisms” – quotes attributed to our founder, George Jenkins – were among the most popular submissions. Since we celebrate our 85th Anniversary as a company in September, we’re going to focus on those, and other quotes related to Publix, then. So now, without further ado, check out these great motivational quotes. You might want to put them in your back pocket for times you need that extra something. Leave a comment telling us which from among these is your favorite.
* It’s the small steps that ultimately climb mountains.
* Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal. – Vince Lombardi
* Life is not a dress rehearsal.. you only get one chance!
* You can be the boss all you want, you’re still going to do it my way.
* Winners do what losers didn’t do.
* Just do it. – Nike; Sir Richard Branson
* Don’t let anyone steal your joy.
* Winners are losers that got back up again, never stop going for what you want! Stay goal oriented!
* Work hard. Stay humble.
* Do your best and forget the rest. – Tony Horton
* This too shall pass.
* The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. - Walt Disney
* It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. - Franklin D Roosevelt
* it’s never too late to live happily ever after.
* A leader makes everyone around them better. A follower’s view never changes
* Be proactive, not reactive.
* To walk fast go alone. To walk far go with a friend. – African proverb
* It’s not your body. It’s just your mind.
* Send your prayers up and watch your blessings come down.
* Do it right the first time!
* Be the change you want to see in the world. – Mahatma Gandhi
* You’ll sink or swim!
* Well done is better than well said.- Benjamin Franklin
* Never look back, you’re not going that way.
* Talk about it or be about it!
* Keep going and never give up on your dreams.
* Don’t embrace excuses, embrace solutions. – Jon Taffer
* Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. – Vince Lombardi
* You only get what you give.
* It’s doesn’t matter who’s with you when you’re up, it’s who with you when you down.
* There is no limit to what a man can do who does not care who gains the credit for it. – Benjamin Jowett
* Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor. – English proverb
* You can’t climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets – Arnold Schwarzenegge
Publix Chief Executive Officer Ed Crenshaw summed up our company’s historic commitment to environmental stewardship in a message to associates on Earth Day last year:
“Mr. George (Founder George W. Jenkins) founded Publix in the midst of the Great Depression. The idea of conserving resources and reducing waste was not new to him. While being green has become the popular thing to do today, we can be proud that we’ve been in a green routine for more than 80 years.“
Our company operates a total of eight return centers which serve as a hub of retail product returns, processing more than 1,000 trailer loads of store returns each day. In addition, they process and sell recyclables and pallets too. The associates working at these facilities carefully inspect all these materials for quality and contamination, and because of their care and effort, Publix obtains premium dollars for them. In fact, vendors are so confident that our recyclables are of top quality and contaminant-free, and our weight reports supplied to them so reliable, that, rather than inspecting our shipments and double-checking our numbers, they trust us enough to pay us according to what we report to them. This is unique in this industry and says a lot about our commitment to this effort.
In case you are not familiar, the scope of our recycling efforts is massive. In 2013, alone, Publix recycled:
- Nearly half a billion pounds of cardboard
- More than 6 million pounds of wax cardboard
- More than 8 million pounds of mixed paper
- Nearly 20 million pounds of mixed plastic
- More than 1 million pounds of scrap metal
- More than 206,000 pounds of tires.
If you’ve ever entered a Publix, you are probably familiar with the three bins outside each of our stores which collects paper bags, plastic bags and egg cartons. And in our own H.R. break room, we now recycle Styrofoam coffee cups, along with the usual plastic bottles and aluminum cans. But thanks to the ingenuity and resourcefulness of our sustainability team, we recycle materials you wouldn’t normally think might be worth recycling, such as:
- Plastic wrap cores
- Stretch wrap
- Plastic straps
- Scrap wood
- Fat, bone, meat scraps
- Bakery waste
- Damaged produce
- Shipping containers
- Three-ring binders
We encourage all our associates to consider the value in recycling! Mr. George recognized the value of conserving resources and reducing waste from the very start. By selling these materials to vendors who are willing to pay top dollar, it reduces our expenses. And since we are all shareholders, paying attention to the bottom line is important to each one of us.
If you share this commitment to sustainability and the environment, and like the sounds of working for a company that’s financially stable, owned by its employees, which has been around for nearly 85 years, take a closer look at Publix.
- Named to the FORTUNE Magazine 100 Best Companies to Work for in America list for the 17th Consecutive Year.
- Ranked as the Top Supermarket for customer satisfaction for the 20th straight year by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
- Publix Pharmacies placed first in the J.D. Power & Associates Customer Satisfaction Index rating among retail pharmacies in the nation.
- Ranked third most trusted brand in America by readers of Entrepreneur Magazine.
- Ranked 13th best employment brand in the nation by Wilson HCG Research Institute.
- EPA GreenChill Store Certification Excellence Award for reducing our carbon footprint and refrigerant emissions.
- Grew from 1,079 stores to 1,097 stores by year’s end.
- Hired more than 40,000 people.
- Promoted more than 10,000 associates in 2014.
- Completed the new Orlando Distribution Center, adding 1 million square feet of warehouse and support space. It will ultimately employ more than 500 associates.
- Second largest donor to March of Dimes in the nation, though we only operate in six states. We raised more than $5.1 million last year.
- Named one of 11 United Way Outstanding Strategic Partners for 2014 in recognition for our company’s long-term commitment, giving, volunteering, leadership and employee engagement.
- Launched a new Associate Wellness Program to improve the health and well-being of all Publix associates.
- Launched a new company website for customers that offers quick access to product catalog to view products specific to their favorite Publix and then build a shopping list or place a deli order through Online Easy Ordering. Also launched a separate website for Corporate and Careers information.
- Entered the state of North Carolina on February 26, 2014, with the opening of Store #1442, Ballantyne Town Center.
Tell us which among these you think are most impactful, and feel free to add any others you think worth mentioning.