When you get your free flu shot at Publix Pharmacy, you’re protecting…
- Your family. You can spread the flu to anyone, and some family members who are at high risk for flu-related problems are more likely to be sent to the hospital — or even die. These include children younger than age five (and especially under age two), pregnant women, adults age 65 and older, and people in long-term care facilities.
- Your friends. Even young people can have very bad cases of the flu. And friends with certain medical conditions — like asthma, diabetes and heart disease — could find their conditions are made worse by the flu.
- Your co-workers and customers. Some of your co-workers and customers may not be able to get a flu shot due to allergies or medical conditions. They’re relying on you to help protect them from the flu and the dangerous health problems it can cause.
- Yourself. By getting your flu shot, you reduce your risk of catching the flu, being hospitalized because of it or spreading the flu to others around you.
Get your free flu shot
All Publix associates can get a free flu shot from their Publix Pharmacy, and their household family members can get theirs for $34 per person. Plus, everyone who gets their shot by Dec. 31, 2018, at any in-store Publix Pharmacy will receive a free $10 Publix gift card!
And what you do every day matters, too
You also can help avoid spreading the flu by
- washing your hands frequently with soap and water
- avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- cleaning surfaces touched by people who may be sick
- avoiding close contact with people who are sick and
- limiting contact with others if you’re sick.
Earlier this year, we asked you to tell us who you get your flu shot for. We are sharing six of your stories — about one per month — on PASSport. Keep an eye out for the words, “I get my flu shot for…” Then, follow the link to find out why your fellow associates get their free flu shot.
Last year we gave you 10 flu facts you need to know, which are still relevant today. And while you’re there, take time to watch the CDC’s short video about prevention.