Today’s business-savvy students are getting a leg up when it comes to college, thanks to programs like DECA, which Publix supports.
Founded in 1946, DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.
In addition to DECA classes at their schools, students participate in various competitions at the local, state and national levels. There, they are challenged to respond to real-life business scenarios, allowing them to hone a number of skills, including teamwork, public speaking and critical thinking.
Since 2008, Publix has awarded 48 scholarships of $1,000 each to associates who are involved in DECA. The scholarships are based on Publix experience, scholastic record, DECA activities, leadership ability and community involvement, as judged by DECA.
This year’s scholarship recipients are
- Cashier Nicole Corder, #1257, Flagler Beach, Florida
- Cashier Hope Doherty, #448, Winter Haven, Florida
- Cashier Eulia Drivas, #549, Coral Springs, Florida
- Front Service Clerk Kevin Friedrich, #1079, Weston, Florida, and
- Front Service Clerk Austin Sweet, #290, Cooper City, Florida.